Sunday, May 6, 2012

Burbank Vintage Clothing & Textile Show

Last Sunday I went to a fun vintage clothing show, in Burbank, right by Disney and Warner Brother's Studios.
They have this show three times a year, but this is the first time I'd been able to make it.
I'm so glad I went! I had a great time, and most importantly bought a few fab things to add to my vintage wardrobe.

The show is held at a place called Pickwick Gardens where you can have wedding receptions & things like that. The grounds are full of flowers...really beautiful!


Right away I saw some great stuff:

Love those "telephone cord" bags





gorgeous late 50's copper jewelry

I've been interested lately in this type of 50's/60's copper jewelry with colorful enamel. I can't deal with clip-on earrings (ouch! Pass the Advil, please), but a bracelet would be nice.



There's a vendor named Wear it Again Sam that always has the best things. Check out this leopard swimsuit:


You can't really see in the pic, but there is lacing up the front...super hot!
The owner, Kristine, has the best taste...I could burn up some serious cash in that booth, if I had any serious cash ;-)
I also loved this dress & jacket combo:


 Isn't that a great print? The dress is sleeveless, with an Empire waist.

I think my favorite find of the day, though, wasn't a clothing item, but a person. Check this out:

Joanne with just a portion of Verona's wardrobe

 The nice lady in the pic above is Joanne, from Joannes' Vintage Lifestyle. She's a super nice gal, very passionate about vintage stuff, and she sells at the Rose Bowl and at the Pasadena City College Flea Market. Yeah, yeah, that's all well and good, but here's the interesting part: every single thing in her booth came from the wardrobe of ONE LADY. Her name was Verona, and here she is:




That's her in the red dress. She started out her life as a nun, of all things...apparently she made up for lost time later in her life! Boy, Verona knew how to shop!  There were easily 100+ items of GORGEOUS clothing in this booth, and apparently these were only the springtime & summery clothes! Joanne said there were just as many fall & winter things she'd be showing later in the year.





Many of the clothes still had the tags on them. Some, like the adorable dress above, even had the original catalog tear sheets! Another interesting thing is that the clothes were a small spectrum of sizes, not just all one size, because Verona's shape changed over time...as shapes are wont to do ;-)
Joanne doesn't have a website that I know of, but she'll be at the Rose Bowl every 2nd Sunday, Row H21.
She'll have lower-priced items of clothing (around $25) and also some mid-century furniture that belonged to the lovely Verona, as well.
If you're in the LA area you should definitely check her out! 

Well, that's enough for now...I'm going to save the goodies I bought for another post!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an awesome post, I loved looking at all of the fab things and the story of Verona is amazing! I can not wait to see what you got!!! Also thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leaving me such a nice comment.

    ReplyDelete